In a lecture given at a meeting of the Vegetarian Society of Hawaii, by Janice Stanger, Ph.D., presented what she terms “Ten Dangerous Nutritional Myths.”
Dr. Sanger is a nutrition expert, author, educator, and speaker, who has a PhD in Human Development and Aging from University of California, San Francisco.
Dr. Sanger also presents a plan for what she terms “The Perfect Formula Diet,” a vegan diet illustrated at left.
The 10 “Nutritional Myths” presented by Dr. Stanger, which, based on scientific studies, she maintains are actually false, include:
- “If a little is good, more is better.
- A little bit can’t hurt.
- You need a special [animal-based] source or protein in your diet.
- Carbs raise insulin levels, while protein lowers it.
- Soy is the source of most dietary estrogen.
- Cow’s milk is the best source of calcium.
- Calcium is what makes your bones strong.
- Fish or fish oil is the best source of Omega-3.
- Grilling animal foods makes them healthy.
- We should dissect our food into protein, fat, and carbs, and strive to include the correct proportion of each in our diet.
Listen to Dr. Stanger’s interesting lecture to learn more about the “10 Nutritional Myths” she presents, as well as her advice on “The Perfect Formula [Vegan] Diet” »
This lecture by Janice Stanger, Ph.D. was presented on June 17, 2011, at a meeting of the Vegetarian Society of Hawaii (http://www.vsh.org).
According to the Vegetarian Society of Hawaii and the editor of this video:
See other videos on nutrition, diet, exercise and fitness in HelpingYouCare™‘s CaringTube™ – Videos on Wellness: Diet, Exercise, Fitness.
- Diet & Nutrition: Physical Wellness;
- Exercise: Physical Wellness;
- Sleep, Hygiene, Quit Smoking & Other Healthy Practices: Physical Wellness;
- Activities to Preserve Mental Acuity: Intellectual Wellness;
- Social Interaction & A Sense of Connection With Others: Social Wellness;
- Other Areas of Wellness: Emotional, Ethical/ Spiritual & Vocational Wellness; and
- Examples of Healthy Aging: Stories of Inspiring Seniors.
Copyright © 2012 Care-Help LLC, publisher of HelpingYouCare™.