In a presentation made at a meeting of the Vegetarian Society of Hawaii, George Eisman, Registered Dietitian, offered a critique of the high-protein Atkins Diet, and discussed what foods are best for human health.
According to Mr. Eisman,
- green leafy vegetables are the most healthful food you can eat,
- too much protein can be harmful to your kidneys,
- high consumption of trans-fats can increase risk of clogged arteries and heart disease,
- studies have shown that foods and drinks containing high-fructose corn syrup or artificial sweetners actually increase your appetite and cause you to eat more calories than those who eat comparable foods containing actual sugar,
- highly processed foods from which nutrients have been removed (such as white rice) are bad for the health and can lead to vitamin and mineral deficiencies; natural brown rice containing the natural nutrients is better for your health.
See this video of Mr. Eisman’s lecture to learn more »
This presentation by George Eisman, RD, was made at a meeting of the Vegetarian Society of Hawaii (http://www.vsh.org). According to the Vegetarian Society of Hawaii and the editor of this video:
- Diet & Nutrition: Physical Wellness;
- Exercise: Physical Wellness;
- Sleep, Hygiene, Quit Smoking & Other Healthy Practices: Physical Wellness;
- Activities to Preserve Mental Acuity: Intellectual Wellness;
- Social Interaction & A Sense of Connection With Others: Social Wellness;
- Other Areas of Wellness: Emotional, Ethical/ Spiritual & Vocational Wellness; and
- Examples of Healthy Aging: Stories of Inspiring Seniors.
Copyright © 2012 Care-Help LLC, publisher of HelpingYouCare™.