UPDATE – MAY 22, 2013: HelpingYouCare® has received notice today that NOAH closed in January, 2013, and their website referenced below is no longer available.
This website of NOAH provides excellent links to a wealth of good online information on health, categorized under the general headings:
* Health Topics (a topic listing of NOAH content by body area or disease category)
* Index A to Z (an alphabetical list of all conditions or health issues on NOAH), and
* Page of the Month (information you may not have known was no NOAH)
The information is available both in English and in Spanish.
NOAH is a non-profit organization formed in 1994 by a collaboration of New York City library organizations (the City University of New York (CUNY) Library, the Metropolitan New York Library Counsel, the New York Academy of Medicine Library, and the New York Public Library, plus two other libraries later added to the group), who joined forces to establish a single website to provide end-users a place on the World Wide Web to reach reliable consumer health information.
NOAH’s stated mission is “to provide access to high quality full-text consumer health information in English and Spanish that is accurate, timely, relevant and unbiased.” The NOAH volunteer editors do not write this information. Instead, librarians and health professionals in New York and elsewhere find, select, and organize the information.
NOAH’s stated selection criteria for the links they include are:
- “NOAH links to full-text information from reputable and authoritative, Web-based resources. The criteria are:
- Author institutions and/or names are clearly displayed on the linked page.
- Links are selected to provide balanced and unbiased information on a topic.
- NOAH does not endorse or represent any commercial venture. Links that contain advertising are chosen solely for their informational content.
- Information on the linked pages is current.
- Every effort is made to select content that is clear and understandable.
- NOAH does not enter into reciprocal link agreements. It provides links to sites that are appropriate to its mission.”