September has been designated as “Fruits and Veggies – More Matters Month,” an officially recognized National Health Observance, HealthFinder.gov, a website of the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, announced.
“Every September, Fruit and Veggies – More Matters Month promotes the health benefits of eating fruit and vegetables,” HealthFinder.gov states.
This National Health Observance is sponsored by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Produce for Better Health Foundation.
According to HealthFinder.gov, “Fruit and vegetables are an important part of a healthy diet that can help protect you from:
- Heart disease
- Bone loss
- Type 2 diabetes
- High blood pressure
- Some cancers, such as colorectal cancer.”
To learn how many servings of fruit and vegetables you need based on your age, weight, level of physical activity, and gender, visit MyPlate.gov.
More Resources on the Importance of Fruits and Vegetables in Your Diet
Resources from the Produce for Better Health Foundation
The Produce for Better Health Foundation, a nonprofit organization funded by the Produce Marketing Association and a number of private companies in the produce industry, operates the FruitsAndVeggiesMoreMatters website, where it provides information and resources promoting the consumption of fruits and vegetables. Among the resources provided for Fruits and Veggies – More Matters Month are the following:
- Healthy Menus and Shopping Lists
- Quick Guide to Getting More Fruits and Vegetables
- Fruit and Vegetable Nutrition
- Healthy Weight Management
- The Importance of Physical Activity in Healthy Weight Management
- Healthy Cooking with Your Kids
- Fruit & Vegetable Recipe Search
- Fruit & Veggie Database
- Key Nutrients in Fruits & Veggies
- How Many Cups Do You Need
- How Much is a Cup
- Teach Your Kids
Resources from the CDC
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) provides many resources on its Fruits and Vegetables resource page, as well as the following publications:
- Why do Fruits & Vegetables Matter to Men?
- Three Simple Steps to Eating More Fruits & Vegetables
- Choose Smart – Choose Healthy (for women)
- How Many Fruits & Vegetables Do You Need?
- ¿Cuantas frutas y verduras necesitas tú?
- Como más frutas y verduras en tres simples pasos
- 10 Ways to Help Kids Eat More Fruits & Veggies
- Entertain the Fruit & Veggie Way
- Fruits & Veggies On the Go
- Save Time and Money
- Test Your Fruit & Veggie IQ
- Your Questions Answered
Resources from the US Department of Agriculture (USDA)
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) – Food and Nutrition Information Center – also provides links to a number of resources on Fruits and Vegetables for Fruits and Veggies – More Matters Month.
For more information on healthy diet and other lifestyle factors that promote wellness and prevent diseases, see the HelpingYouCare® resource pages on Wellness/ Healthy Living for Seniors & Caregivers, including:
- Diet & Nutrition: Physical Wellness;
- Exercise: Physical Wellness;
- Sleep, Hygiene, Quit Smoking & Other Healthy Practices: Physical Wellness;
- Activities to Preserve Mental Acuity: Intellectual Wellness;
- Social Interaction & A Sense of Connection With Others: Social Wellness;
- Other Areas of Wellness: Emotional, Ethical/ Spiritual & Vocational Wellness; and
- Examples of Healthy Aging: Stories of Inspiring Seniors.
Copyright © 2012 Care-Help LLC, publisher of HelpingYouCare®. All rights reserved.